One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: "Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?"
Jesus replied, "What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?"
The man answered, "'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
"Right!" Jesus told him. "Do this and you will live!"
— Luke 10:25-28 NLT
Some observations are worth making on this interchange between Jesus and the expert in religious law:
- Jesus was being tested by a critic.
- However, Jesus didn't just brush him off but instead engaged him in honest and meaningful teaching.
- Jesus affirmed the expert for his insight into the truth.
- Jesus also affirmed that loving God and loving our neighbors is a great summary of God's law given through Moses.
- However, Jesus reminded the expert (and us as well) that the heart of God's truth is not just knowing it, but doing it.
God's blessing comes when we put his truth into practice!
God, help me know your will and treasure it. Even more, dear God, give me the conviction, the courage, and the compassion to put your truth into practice. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.