Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind:Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.
Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line? What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?
(Job 38:1-7 NLT)
MO is at Black Rifle Coffee, Beyond Black dark roast is in the cup, silence is on the playlist, and God is in the room musing with me.
I watched the son of a close friend jump head-first into adulthood yesterday. At 28, he finally moved away from his mom and dad... got his first job... yes, it was a long time coming! But yesterday, I saw the best of his father in him. That moment got me musing, and then God got involved up close and personally with me!
I remember a conversation with Tyler. He was just out of college, a newbie engineer looking for a job. Inside the conversation, he asked a question about life. That little question lingers:
So, I made a list of questions the younger me should ask the older me — questions about life thus far. Maybe you need to ask them along with me?
- How do you know if you're giving God enough of your time and energy? What is enough?
- What big things — have you learned in life? How do you know that the big things are big things?
- If I have the choice to buy a new car or travel, what should I do?
- When you say life is divided into seasons, what does that mean?
- Do you volunteer for anything bigger than yourself?
- It's easy to push forward, but how do you know when it's time to take a breath and lean back?
- How do you learn to listen for understanding before you listen to respond? ...that seems really hard!
- How do you bring out the good in others when no one is bringing out yours?
- How do you know if your friends are really trustworthy?
- When did you start seeing Abba in the room? Aren't there days when you don't see him at all?
- Do you yell at the cars that cut-in in front of you? Why is that?
- How is it possible to be a generous man when you have to have a drawing to pay the bills?
- How do you handle it when you find out they all lied?
- What books have you read that you've given others to read?
- Where do you find courage when you are definitely terrified?
Till humanity takes its last breath, God is still the author of life, He is writing the story, but we are definitely contributors...
Abba, we're all still learning what it's like to be an adult. We ask ourselves these questions knowing that our answers all lie in you making the journey with us! Amen.