While there are many highs and lows in our walk with Jesus, we'll actually spend most of our time somewhere in between. It's like someone you love—there are times of absolute and sheer delight. But we spend much of our lives in partnership—not in a blazing fire but a constant flame of security, hope, peace, companionship, care, concern, tenderness, and love. Those long passages through "The Land of In-between" intensify our highs and prepare us to survive through the lows.
As much as we would like to always fly like eagles or run and never faint, we will spend most of our lives walking with Jesus. We will remember those flights of spiritual ecstasy and power. We will replay those races against our enemy. But our souls will be nourished and our spirits will be fed in "The Land of In-between."
Unless I'm mistaken, you're probably in "The Land of In-between" right this moment. It's a comfortable place. We take it for granted since it is so familiar. That's what makes our stay here so important. We will live so much of our lives here, ingraining habits and settling into routines. But when the times of trial come, when moments of great accomplishment for God's Kingdom are presented to us, what we've done to grow in "The Land of In-between" will determine where we come out in the end.
When in "The Land of In-between" I encourage you to follow a spiritual regimen that prepares you for the heights and valleys that will follow:
- Be obedient to the clear word of God — when you find a scriptural principle, put it into practice (James 1:22).
- Avoid every form of immorality — it is Spirit sapping (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8).
- Take care to guard your speech and attitude, especially in the way you talk to and about your brothers and sisters in Christ (Ephesians 4:25-32; Ephesians 5:1-2).
- Do what releases the power of the Holy Spirit in your life (Ephesians 5:17-31; Ephesians 6:17-18).
experience has taught me that much of my time will be spent in "The Land of In-between"!
- Speak to others in songs, hymns and spiritual songs.
- Sing and make melody in your heart to the Lord.
- Give thanks in all situations.
- Submit to others out of reverence to Christ.
- Open yourself to the Word of God.
- Pray in the Spirit.
- Get together with other Christians for Spiritual worship and fellowship (Hebrews 10:19-25).
While I'd love to always be on the mountain tops with God or soaring on the wings of eagles, experience has taught me that much of my time will be spent in "The Land of In-between"! If you find yourself there with me, then why not make your time here useful so that when the times for peaks and valleys come, you're ready to live for God.