While there are many highs and lows in our walk with Jesus, we'll actually spend most of our time somewhere in between the highest highs and the lowest lows. Those long passages through "The Land of Inbetween" intensify our highs and prepare us to survive the lows.
As much as we would like to always fly like eagles or run and never faint, we will spend most of our lives walking with Jesus. (Isaiah 40:28-31) We will remember those flights of spiritual ecstasy and power. We will replay those hard races against our enemy. However, our souls will be nourished and our spirits will be fed in "The Land of Inbetween" or we will never reach our highs or survive our lows.
Unless I'm mistaken, you're probably in "The Land of Inbetween" right this moment. After awhile, it gets to be a comfortable place. We take it for granted since it is so familiar. That's what makes our stay here so important — we will live so much of our lives here, ingraining habits and settling into routines. However, when the times of trial come, when moments of great accomplishment for God's Kingdom are presented to us, what we've done to grow in "The Land of Inbetween" will determine where we come out in the end.
When in "The Land of Inbetween" I encourage you to follow a spiritual regimen that prepares you for the heights and valleys that will follow:
- Be obedient to the clear word of God — if you find a scriptural principle, put it into practice. (James 1:22)
- Avoid every form of immorality — it is Spirit sapping (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8)
- Take care to guard your speech and attitude, especially about other brothers and sisters in Christ. (Ephesians 4:25-32; Ephesians 5:1-2)
- Do what releases the power of the Holy Spirit in your life. (Ephesians 5:17-31; Ephesians 6:17-18)
Submit to others
Open yourself to the Word of God
- Get together with other Christians for Spiritual worship and fellowship. (Hebrews 10:19-25)
While I'd love to always be on the mountain tops with God or soaring on the wings of eagles, experience has taught me that much of my time will be spent in The Land of Inbetween. If you find yourself there with me, then why not make your time here useful so that when the times for peaks and valleys come, you're ready to live for God.
Archived Facebook Comments