- "You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle." — Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach
- "You guys line up alphabetically by height." — Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach
- "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." — Senior basketball player, University of Pittsburgh
My favorite sports quotations, though, come from Yogi Berra:
- "Nobody goes to that restaurant any more — it's too crowded."
- "If people don't want to come out to the ball park, nobody's going to stop them."
- Someone asked Yogi what time it was; he said, "You mean now?"
- Yogi was asked his philosophy of life:" When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
- "I don't want to make the wrong mistake."
- "You can see a lot by watching."
- "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."
There's actually a lot of truth in some of those statements. Spiritually speaking, if we don't know where we're going, we truly will end up somewhere else! It's important to have a goal and to keep our eyes set on that goal. If we just spend our lives drifting spiritually, "hoping" that we'll end up where we want to be, we're just deceiving ourselves. Notice the determination in Paul's voice:
Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind .... (Philippians 3:13-15 NRS)
Where are you going spiritually? If you don't know, you're likely to end up somewhere else!