by David Smith
Following Jesus is a mystery.
According to the best guesses made by people who keep tabs on such things, the worlds population surpassed the six billion mark last month. Six billion! Such a figure boggles my mind.
- Thats six billion people whom God will hold accountable for their attitudes and actions.
. . . the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone . . . Jude in Jude 14b-15a
- Thats six billion people who will die in their sins unless they know the Lord.
I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins. Jesus in John 8:24
- Thats six billion people whose lives need to continually turn toward God.
In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead. Paul in Acts 17:30-31
- And God is unprejudiced in his dealings with all these six billion. He stands ready to welcome and accept any and all who come to him.
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. John in 1 John 5:1-2
- Thats six billion people over whom Jesus Christ reigns as Lord and to whom He wishes to give eternal life.
Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Jesus in John 17:2-3
- Many of those six billion people are people who are watching the way we Christians live our lives and even seek answers to lifes meaning from us.
. . . in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. . . . do this with gentleness and respect . . . Peter in 1 Peter 3:15
- Thats six billion people who need the powerfully good news that Jesus Christ cares for them, has died for them and lives even now for them.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Paul in Romans 1:16
- Six billion. Quite a sum. What difference can one, like you or me, make among so many. In a word much.
. . . open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. Jesus in John 4:35
The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Jesus in Matthew 9:37-38
So live today with the harvest in mind. Plant the seed. Water it. Share your faith. Live it. And allow God to give what increase he will. For the sake of the six billion. For your own sake. To the glory of the name of Jesus Christ.
Our Father in heaven, in Jesus name I ask that send workers into the fields that a harvest of souls might be reaped. Put me alongside them and give me the privilege of being your servant. Make me know the joy of my salvation and to share it. Amen.
Comments, questions & requests to be added to the e-mailing list for the Online Devotional may be sent to: <email@example.com>