In the beginning was DOS for Dummies, and it was good. Now there is a whole series of books, not even technology related, for Dummies. Tonight at Barnes and Noble, I found a series that was for Idiots. Although these terms are a tad bit insulting, there are a lot of people who might fit into these categories when it comes to love. But since I prefer a kinder and gentler approach to this topic, Id name my book series on relationships Relationships for the Breathing. You see, at certain times in our relationships we ALL make bone-headed mistakes with people we love and are going to need some help in putting things back together and making them work again. Sad reality, as long as were breathing, were going to need this kind of help. So...
Here is my suggested content for that book:
- Chapter 1 Treat other people as youd like them to treat you Even after the honeymoon. (Reference: Matthew 7:12)
- Chapter 2 Be quick to listen and slow to speak but do communicate regularly
(Reference: James 1:19)
- Chapter 3 Change your spouse by changing yourself first (Reference: Luke 6:41-42)
- Chapter 4 Know your partners needs and meet them let them know yours also (Reference: Galatians 6:2)
- Chapter 5 Keep your words soft and sweet, because you never know which ones you will have to eat (Reference: Proverbs 16:23-24)
- Chapter 6 Accept apologies graciously and dont overreact (Reference: Ephesians 4:32)
- Chapter 7 Conflict can turn into doorways for deeper intimacy (Reference: Matthew 18:15)
- Chapter 8 Care more for the relationship than the game or store hopping (Reference: Romans 12:9-10, 15)
- Chapter 9 It takes three in a relationship two to mess it up and God to give it a direction and true purpose (Reference: Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)
- Chapter 10 Christ died for the church, what have you done lately for marriage? (Reference: Ephesians 5:21, 25)
Obviously, I have borrowed a few of these from another book. On second thought, you might just want to study it. It really is the instruction manual for humans, life, and relationships. The Bible has been tested and true on relationships for a lot longer than the very best Opra guest or the latest talk show expert or guest columnist or seminar speaker. Besides, being a husband, a father, a technologist, a chauffeur, a Bible class teacher, columnist, deacon, yardman... a book really isnt in my near future so Id just as soon point you to my favorite one!